Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Another Successful Tri!

Another successful Tri completed. I love crossing the finish line at a Triathlon. Everyone is cheering you on as if you are breaking a world record, even if you are last place. This may be the only sport that celebrates finishing above winning. Check out Tri Momma Jo and Sarah on my blogs everyone should read. They have great write ups on the true value of the training journey with friends. Race day is just a celebration of the journey with friends.

Speaking of Triathlons, Ironman 70.3 Kansas is less than two weeks away. There are close to a dozen of us going from the Little Rock area. My wife and I will be heading up the Thursday before to throw in a little vacation time before the event. There is quite a bit of nervousness within the group. This will be the first Half Ironman for my wife and our good friend Jo. They are both supreme athletes and really have nothing to worry about. They should be at the finish line sipping on cold ones way before I finish. This is my second attempt at a Half Ironman. I attempted the Lake Degray Half last August. It is a very brutal course, especially with the August heat and humidity in Arkansas. I had a great swim and decent bike, but the run destroyed me. I made it 6 miles into the run before catching a ride back to the finish. My legs had started cramping to the point they were locking up. Walking was becoming difficult. I stopped by the medical tent for a cocktail. That bag of fluid was just what the doctor ordered. I didn't really do any Tri specific training for that race. I thought I could just wing it. Boy was I wrong. I should do a lot better in Kansas. I am in much better shape and have actually been running this year. Running is really hard when you are a heavy weight. I have already bought my 70.3 sticker for my car. I really hope I finish this one. It means a lot to me.

Well, I had one of my 3 cheat meals last night. After the club bike ride, my wife and I decided to get some PF Chang's. I had the Spicy chicken and chicken fried rice. You know, a funny thing happened as I was eating. I was loving the taste of the food, but I found myself actually looking forward to starting the diet in two weeks. I think mentally, I have already started to make the change. I was thinking about that as I ran 9 miles on Monday night. I can't wait to see how it feels to run when I lose 30 lbs or more. It is possible I may be able to hover over the ground as I run. LOL.

4 comments:

jo said...

Yo Christopher! Congrats on the awesome finish again. You'll do great in Kansas - the weather looks like it's going to be a little less brutal than it was at DeGray for you. Can't wait to have a beer with you at the finish!!

dewonn43 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dewonn43 said...

Hey Chris, Nice finish ... have fun at Kansas (its always more fun after you hit the finish line)

And let me know when you get that hover thing going on ... I NEED TO SEE THAT!!!!!

Sarah said...

Chris-you look STRONG in that pic. The 70.3 is shaking with fear right now. I'll have a beer here in LR in celebration when all you guys finish!