Friday, October 17, 2008

Frequent Blogging

Alright my blogging friends, or should I say my not blogging friends, it is time to pick up the pace. Several of us are guilty of only blogging a couple of times a month while our other blogging friends pick up the slack. I am going to lead by example and hope the rest of you join in the fun. I am sure you want to share you exciting life with others and they want to share it with you. Lets get rocking!!!!!

I am working on the Ironman Longhorn update. There is allot to tell so it is taking a while. I will be wrapping up the weight loss blogging with the Ironman update. I will recap the race and give some final thoughts on the weight loss. I will still throw in some weight loss conversation in the future, but it is time to switch gears on the blog.

Winter time is just around the corner in Arkansas. The daylight is going away and so are the races and most of the group rides. This is a perfect formula for getting out of shape and putting on some holiday pounds. Do you have a plan to avoid the holiday monster?

I have developed a plan and started it last week. I still have some fine tuning to do, but I have the basics of the plan down. Starting last Thursday, I vowed to do at least a thirty minute workout each day for thirty days. I am on track with completing that goal for nine days now. This is a jump start to get me back into the training mode. With the taper leading up to the half Ironman and twelve days of vacation, I had slipped of the wagon. My diet has suffered as well.

I struggled with the idea of working out that much and not getting bored or injured. They say variety is the spice of life, so I am loading up on variety. My workout plans include, road cycling, running, mountain biking, racquetball, and P90X. I am taking a break from swimming and brick workouts. The P90X will add much needed weight and core workouts. I am training for the Little Rock Marathon in March. With this variety of workouts and intensity, I should be able stay fresh and avoid injury.

I hit the MTB for the first time last Thursday. It was miserable experience. I made it less than two miles into the ride before I drew blood. I went down on some sharp rocks and nearly cut my finger off and bruised my bicep and triceps in my left arm. I was pretty shaken up, but rode another two miles before heading home.

I decided to get back on the horse and went to Cedar Glades on Friday. I had a very nice hour and ten minute workout. I gained some balance and sharpened some skills. I had fun. I went back to Cedar Glades on Sunday for an hour and twenty minute workout. I had an awesome time. Today, I had the breakthrough. I left work early and headed out to Burns Park. I rode for an hour and thirty-five minutes. The ride is hard to describe. I have never felt that way on a MTB. Everything just seemed to be flowing. I imagine the increased fitness from the half Ironman training and the thirty pounds of weight loss contributed to the great ride.

Well, I don't want to waste all of my tales on one blog, so I will end for now. Besides, Rebecca and I are getting up early and doing an eight mile run. Blogging friends, get to blogging!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

30 days! good last fall I started a 30 days of running which turned into at least 90 - 100.... and I made it 45'... it was great!! loved it and had a great base thru the winter keeping healthy. Well I blog too much so y'all do need to pick up the slack!! we need to get together!!

Sarah said...

Dude, My coach and I call that flow "LOVE". You bank those days to withdraw from on the hard days or races.

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

Welcome back to the blog world! Still patiently waiting for a race report from Rebecca too.
MTB scares me to death (along with a whole list of other things like OW swimming). Good for you for trying, and then trying again! I have no doubt you'll stick with your plan through the winter.