Monday, May 26, 2008

The Beginning

I just finished a very tasty cheeseburger, fries and DP. Every bite was delicious! The fries were hot, salty and just right. I will forever remember these moments, as they will soon be gone. 36 years of southern fried food is about to end. I have just three weeks before I begin the Baptist Hospital Weight Management program. Oddly enough, I am counting down the days with anticipation. I look forward to starting the journey to a leaner me.

I have been an avid cyclist and Triathlete for several years now. I absolutely love both sports. The people you meet is by far the best part. That was the main reason I entered this odd world where spandex was acceptable in public. I soon learned that going fast on a bike was an addictive rush. I bought all of the equipment and read all of the books. I now have five bikes and a room full of training gadgets. I can tell you about HR training, power output and Lactate threshold. As the paceline kicks up the speed, I slowly drift to the back and watch them disappear.

I am a member of one of the best cycling clubs on the planet, www.fastgirlsslowguys.com. Our jerseys are pink and our riders are fast. Everyone tells me I am fast, for a BIG guy. Isn't that like being called "cute"? Anyway, I have decided I no longer want to be the big guy. I want to be lean and fast.

As all of you know, losing weight is tough. I have never been much of a FAD diet person. I always knew you had to eat right and exercise to lose weight. I could maintain discipline for a few weeks and lose a nice amount of weight. I would soon fall off the wagon and return to my old ways. I have finally decided to get some real help. Much like anyone else with an addictive personality, the first step is realizing you can't do it yourself. I am excited.

I will include all details of this journey in this blog. I will track the the training, the diet, the weight loss and the ups and downs. For you techies out there, I will include numbers and stats. I will also throw in some regular life stuff to keep it interesting. If you know of someone who needs some motivation, or an occasional laugh, send them my way.

6 comments:

dewonn43 said...

Hey Chris, Great start ... I will help be your conscience ... hang tough ... May the Force be with You

jo said...

Chris-

I LOVE it! I love reading blogs and this will be added to my favorites! I know full well how the addictive personality works and I know that once you set your mind to it, you will succeed! You have lots of friends cheering you on and supporting you.

Looking forward to reading your many adventures to a lean, hard body!

Sarah said...

Post hysterectomy, I did the UAMS program last year. You'll do great. I'm excited to follow your progress.

Sarah said...

You've been linked on my blog.

Geo said...

Hey Chris-o,
I second what Jo just said!
You'll do awesome!
Geo.

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

Good luck, Chris! Don't lose sight of the goal and be patient. It will seem like an eternity, but it will be worth it and you'll love it when the results start to show. I'm adding your link to my blog. If you want to read about another motivational weight loss/triathlete check out the link to "Christophers" blog on my page.
BTW, I don't know if I've ever rode with you yet? I know you're going to Kansas. I'm having some hesitation.