Monday, April 13, 2009

Idiosyncrasies

Sometimes, you just have to laugh at yourself. These are words to live by!

I went to the gym for my usual lunch training swim today. Training is starting to ramp up and consistency is of the utmost importance. I get to the gym and realize I have forgotten my flip flops. This is a major catastrophe. I don't walk around my own house barefoot, I must have socks on. I developed some strange foot thing when I was young.

Luckily, I had my running shoes with me, so I could use those to get to the pool and back. This was only half of the problem. I had to make it to the shower. I debated on wearing my running shoes to the shower, no kidding. It was either that or go back to work in my shorts and T-shirt smelling like chlorine.

OK, I decided I would do the right thing and shower. I have not taken a shower in a public place without flip flops in twenty years. I arrive in the men's locker room to find I have it all to myself. I hurry to the shower. Believe or not, I felt more "naked" without my flip flops. I felt like I was naked in someones house. I kept looking around to be sure nobody could see me. I kept thinking if I hurried I could get away from the germs trying to hitch a ride on my wet feet.

I started laughing when I got in my car. Well, at least I got in my swim. LOL.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when I said you will face your fears in Ironman training, didn't know it would be a lack of flip flop fear!!! to avoid this catastrophe, please buy extra and leave in car, gym bag, work and other locations, smile!!

Iron Maiden said...

And you go to the shee-shee-poo-poo gym! If I had done that at the gym I go to, I would've skipped the shower!