Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Winter Training

We are closely approaching winter, well, an Arkansas winter. An Arkansas winter could be 75 degrees one day and 35 degrees the next. Even worse, it could be 75 in the morning and 35 by the afternoon. We spend most of the winter with our pockets stuffed with arm warmers, leg warmers and other warm clothing. The rule of thumb is to carry a lot with you and be able to remove anything you start out wearing.

Winter time also marks the end of long daylight hours. This reduces every ones training time and forces us to perform unspeakable things like riding the trainer, lifting weights and core training. Fortunately, I have enough warm clothing to avoid the trainer as much as possible. Unfortunately, there is no way to get out of weights and core work during the winter. I know it is necessary but I would much rather be on my bike.

I did my first chest, back and core workout Tuesday morning. My chest and back are sore but my core is in the most agony. Did you know you use your core when you are typing? Oh the agony. I climbed out of bed a 4:30 am and stumbled to the coffee pot. This is not a misprint and I have a witness. Rebecca, horribly shocked, witness my early morning stumbling. If you know me, you know that I like to have a plan for everything. I started training for my early morning rise a couple of weeks ago. I started getting up at 5:30 and started the day with coffee and music videos on VH1. I would set around for an hour then proceed to my normal work day routine. This brutal training routine help me prepare my body for the early morning workouts. (Don't tell anyone, but I felt really good after my early workout. I may one day reach Jedi Master status).

I decided to change up my winter routine this year. I have all but retired the road bike and spent considerable time on the MTB. I will still do Wednesday hill training and weekend fun rides on the Road bike, but most of my harder training will be on the MTB. It is a nice change of pace, killer workout and just plain old fun! I have been on the MTB around a dozen times in the last three weeks. I have gained some much needed and long lost skill and balance. MTB is so much more fun when you don't have to worry about killing yourself on a jagged rock. I am actually training very hard right now. I will do the sport class at a MTB race in Hot Springs in two weeks. The sport class is 20 miles of fast single track. There are a few technical spots and some climbing, but most of the course is fast. I have no aspirations of finishing above the middle of the pack. Actually, a middle of the pack finish would be great. I am hoping my end of the season fitness from the 70.3 will help me toward the end of race. I will give a full report after the race.

Tomorrow is another 4:30 rise and shine. Summer will not return fast enough for me.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Chris, you and I are so similar! Good job on moving up to sport. If you need any mtb racing advice, just let me know. But the gist goes something like this:
Pedal your ass off, take chances you wouldn't ordinarily take, and stay anaerobic the whole time. Kinda like crit racing on dirt for two hours. :)

Iron Maiden said...

Use your core muscles for typing...you crack me up!

Anonymous said...

good for you!! on your early morning and the aBS!! you and Lance have that in common... see recent Bicyling mag.