Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Baggy Clothes and Loose Socks

We are our biggest fan and our harshest critic. We need to believe in our self and reach our own standards and goals to be happy. We have to get to a certain point in the journey before we finally come to the realization that we are meeting our goals. Sometimes that point is well defined and sometimes it sneaks up on us.

I have developed and unexpected morning routine several times a week. The Jedi Master, David, persuaded me into attending a 5:30 AM workout a few weeks ago. To say I am not a morning person, is an understatement. I am the type of person that can sleep twelve hours if I forget to set my alarm clock. My wife is the direct opposite, she can't sleep past 6:00 AM to save her life.

I am now doing early morning workouts two to three times a week. I hate to admit it, but I really enjoy it. When you have friends that show up at 5:30 AM with smiling faces, it is hard not to come back. Besides, an early morning workout can do wonders for your body and your day. I am shocked at how good I feel throughout the day. The affect on my weight loss has been astounding.

My weight loss has become noticeable. Very few people noticed the weight loss when I had lost ten pounds. When I reached the fifteen pound loss, people started telling me they could see it in my face. As I neared the twenty pound point, people started to turn their head to take a second look to be sure it was me. I am now nearing the thirty pound mark, and the response from others has been nothing short of awe. Everywhere I go someones jaw drops as they come over to take a second look.

These responses are awesome, yet hard for me to fathom. I hear the compliments, yet I am skeptical. I watch the numbers on the scale decrease, yet I am skeptical. I see my body getting leaner in the mirror, yet I am skeptical. I buckle my belt, yet, holy Toledo, I have moved down four notches on my belt.

It was at that moment I realized I was really accomplishing what I set out to do. My clothes were falling off of me. I am down to my last buckle hole and I still can't keep my pants from falling down. I walk around the office all day doing my best Urkle impression. The only way I can keep them stable is by pulling them up to my chest. My shirts resemble a small parachute. What is the deal with my socks? I never thought losing weight would affect my socks. If I am not pulling up my pants I am pulling up my socks. I guess I need to get one of the sock garter things.

I have finally accepted that my weight loss is real and that I want to use my new powers for evil. I want to blow past people in the Triathlon and drop people on the hills at any chance I get. I want to ride in the heat and smile as my competitors suffer. These are the thoughts that athletes have on a daily basis. I believe I can finally call myself and athlete.

Last Sunday was the Arkansas Road Race Championship. It was rumoured to have two major climbs, which turned out to NOT be a rumour. As if that wasn't enough, the weather was predicted to be over 100 degrees with a heat index close to 110. Once again, the predictions did not disappoint.

Don't get me wrong, I don't currently have delusions of grandeur about winning or even placing in a cycling road race. However, I do have goals to accomplish and I do enjoy the races. The race held a number of challenges for me. I have done several races this year, since moving up a category, and have yet to finish one. By moving up a category, I doubled the distance I have to race. I usually get dropped about ten miles into the race and have to ride alone. I straggle past the finish line and call it a day with one lap. Hey, I am just an overweight guy out for a ride, what does it matter.

Well, it didn't matter until today. Today was different. I have lost twenty-six pounds and I am in great shape. I had always done well in the heat, so that didn't scare me. As usual, I got dropped in the first few miles. The first climb was tremendous. I had decided to pace myself and keep the pace I plan to do in the Olympic triathlon in two weeks. In hind site, I should have went harder up the first climb. I haven't quite figured out my new limits and recover ability. I am finding out I can put out a lot more effort and recover more quickly.

I came to the second lap starting point and continued on. I felt great and had no ideas of quitting. As I made my way up the climb, I noticed someone behind me. My good friend, Doc, started in a group five minutes behind my group. He caught me on the hill. I was very happy to have company. It would have been a lonely hot ride.

Doc and I slowed a bit on the last ten miles. It was getting hotter and we were running low on water. There was another big climb about three miles from the finish with a water stop at the top. We reached the top and grabbed two cold bottles of water. We dumped some on our head and gulped the rest as we headed toward the finish line. As we were nearing the finish line, I heard a weird noise. I ask Doc if he could see anything wrong with my bike. He laughed and pointed out the noise. Our tires were starting to melt and stick to the asphalt. I told Doc we needed to speed up before we burst into flames. If your tires are melting it is HOT!

We finished the race and found time to have a few laughs. It was a great race, with great friends and great accomplishments. If I have my way, I will never quit again. I love this weight loss stuff.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, congrats on the race!!! way to go and like I told you the other night I don't know the Chris who is overweight or who sleeps in, I only know the guy that shows up early like I do, and looks slim to me!!! missed ya this morning BTW! m

Yale D. Funk said...

Hey, I got these running shirts with pockets sewed on to the back;') I see a new wardrobe in your future. You GO Christopher and good for you!

Geo said...

Way to go skinny Chris!

Sock garder belts... only if you are getting white patent leather shoes.

We missed you at the ride tonight... I know you really did have a good excuse. Dollar General sock shopping trips are always more important.

Jo said...

way to go skinny white boy!